My coworkers are regulars at Starbucks and just about everyday I see a drink with the familiar coffee label on one of the desks in our office. They’re not the “mocha latte lo-fat cream” types, but although they like the plain ol’ fashion cup of joe they will occasionally pick up some fancy treats from under the display case. A favorite among these seems to be the Cranberry Bliss Bars. They’re a seasonal favorite this time of year, and exactly the recipe I wanted to duplicate! Maybe it was divine intervention or just another foodie on the same quest for deliciousness, but quite by surprise a friend tagged me on Facebook a copycat Starbuck Cranberry Bliss Bar recipe from Mr. Breakfast, mrbreakfast.com!
These triangular pieces of cookie with cake crust are topped with a decadent cream cheese frosting, mixed with white chocolate and dried cranberries, similar to my earlier scone recipe combining chocolate and cranberries, and just as delicious. Added is a hint of ginger in the crust… ohhh, bliss for sure! Mr. Breakfast’s recipe has a perfect frosting, although I tried to save 1/3 calories by using neufchâtel cheese instead of full fat cream cheese, and I did tweak the bar ingredients just a bit.
Bliss Bar Base – preheat oven to 350 degrees, and lightly grease a 9×13 pan.
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup dried minced cranberries (I used pomegranate Craisins)
- 4 0z. white chocolate (I used 1 bar of Lindt), coarsely chopped
- Beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Once incorporated, add eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and ground ginger.
- Combine flour and butter mixture.
- Separately, mix fresh ginger and 1 teaspoon of sugar, then add to the dough.
- Fold in cranberries and chocolate.
- Put in greased 9 X 13 pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 4 oz. neufchâtel cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Mix well and top cooled bars.
- 1 tablespoons minced dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips, melted (I used Ghirardelli)
- Sprinkle cranberries on top to frosting.
- Drizzle chocolate on top.